Michelle N. Comeau
Phone: (808) 524-1800
Fax: (808) 524-4591
Michelle Comeau's practice encompasses a diverse range of commercial litigation, with an emphasis on contract litigation, torts, class actions, and appellate law. In the area of healthcare law, she also advises on healthcare regulatory matters, including HIPAA, Medicaid, and Medicare.
Comeau has represented clients in the financial services, manufacturing, and retail industries in actions involving claims of breach of contract, negligence, fraud, and violations of state prohibitions on unfair business practices.
Comeau has practiced law in California and Hawai'i. In addition to her private sector experience, she has served as a law clerk to the Honorable Susan Oki Mollway of the United States District Court for the District of Hawai'i, and to the Honorable A. Wallace Tashima of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Comeau received her J.D. from the UCLA School of Law, where she was a Senior Editor of the UCLA Law Review and was elected to the Order of the Coif. She received her B.A. in Economics from Dartmouth College, and is a graduate of Punahou School.
Recent Representative Matters
- Represented major telecommunications company for two years in ongoing related negligence cases stemming from a 2007 fire in Malibu, California.
- Represented Fortune 100 industrial engineering conglomerate in commercial dispute with one of its suppliers; prepared motion for partial summary judgment that resulted in a favorable settlement less than one week after motion was filed.
- Represented major retailer in a putative racketeering class action in United States District Court; won dismissal on the merits in initial motion practice; drafted successful appellate brief defending dismissal before the Ninth Circuit.
Admitted to Practice
- Hawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Hawai`i Appellate Practice Manual (chapter author), Hawaii State Bar Association, September 2012.
- "The Hidden Contradiction Within Insider Trading Regulation," UCLA Law Review, Vol. 53, Issue 5, June 2006.
- UCLA School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif)
• UCLA Law Review. Senior Editor
- Dartmouth College (B.A., Economics, concentration in Finance; minor in Spanish literature)
- The Honorable Susan Oki Mollway, U.S. District Court for the District of Hawai`i
• Law clerk (2010-2011)
- Morrison & Foerster, LLP
• Associate (2008-2010)
- The Honorable A Wallace Tashima, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
• Law clerk (2006-2007)